Wednesday 6 July 2011

Direction, Direction, Direction

Had a good 1:1 last night. Caught up over the events of the weekend, where we went wrong etc. Aiming for the next test at the end of July :)

Want to try and get Chester running away from me in a straight line so set up in front of a post, sent him 'away' to a dummy I had placed there. Quickly followed him up and rewarded at the post. The ball went behind the fence which sort of worked in my favour as wherever I put him in the field and said 'away' he would run to the fence where the ball was! Sort of cheating but we can build that up with nothing there.

Did some direction work - sent him away to the fence again, stopped him, threw a dummy either side and sent for one, back to me, away to the fence and back out to the other. He didn't do too badly in this.

Then did some hunting inside a square - about 30yards across. Threw a flat dummy in a couple of times, trying to get him to quarter to find it but it doesn't work very well because he always goes straight to it, following his nose!! On the third time - no dummy so I could really work him. This is the point where I fall down as I'm not very good at turning him and knowing when to leave him because he's doing a good job. Dummy finally thrown in and he hunts nicely to get it :) I really need to practice this so I am more confident on the hunting part of the tests.

Chester is always so well behaved in training - how does that happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment