Wednesday 22 June 2011

1:1 Training

Had a 1:1 session tonight. Did lots of little, different things just to show the areas we need to brush up on.

Heelwork - good but need to get him targeting my leg so he doesn't drift forward when off lead.

Direction work - works well to the left, right and back when retrieving a dummy but he tends to come back towards me if directing him without heading towards a dummy.

Send away - he doesn't really know this at all. Need to get him heading away from me because I command him to rather than just to get a retrieve.

Dummy hold - I'm a bit worried about this as he's chomping down on the dummy and not really ever achieving a good hold. As soon as we mention the words 'hard mouthed' I get a bit worried. Don't really know enough about it, whether he is hard mouthed or just poor training on my part. Advice needed but I've got some things to work on here.

On a positive note he is coming on well and trainer says he thinks he's going to do well next season. I know we'll never enter field trials as he's a moaner and I really just want to get him to a level where he can compete in working tests. I think we're still so far off and can you really do it if you've never trained a gundog before and really didn't start any specific training until he was a year old?!

No comments:

Post a Comment