Wednesday 15 June 2011

Got my dog back :)

Chester's been away for a couple of days on a trial for when we got to Oz in September. He was staying with another Vizsla and a brilliant handler. I think he got up to a bit of mischief but generally was well behaved and had such a fab time.

Took him out this morning and he is super obedient! Must keep up the good work and not let him slip. While he was away I read a 'The Pet Gundog' and it reminded me of a few things I need to ensure I do to keep in check ;)

We've got group training on Sunday so I'd like to see some progress on his retrieves before then.

Didn't take the dummy out this morning but did some good recalls and have started bringing him round to heel afterwards. I think he'll get the hang of that pretty quickly. It'll also help with his sit when I stop as he tends to swing round, sit down and look at me to see what's coming next.

I'll do some garden retrieves today and picking up again with the hold. I've ordered some more dummy including a softer 1lb one as the one we have is like a brick - no wonder he's not keen on picking it up! I might bash it up a bit with a mallet to soften it.

We are attending a water training day on 10th July which I am really looking forward to. Chester is pretty confident in the water and swims well (especially if there's a tennis ball or duck to chase!). What is doesn't like is a deep entry so if we could work on this I will be pleased. There aren't many places to swim near us but I'll ask around and see if anyone can suggest somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment