Thursday 2 June 2011

Training Methods/Styles

Something I am just getting to grips with having spent over a year owning Chester is what works for him.

At first I was taking in knowledge from all different sources/trainers etc but now I find it much easier to filter out what will work for us.

For example. I once met with a lady who predominately trained labs. I am sure her training skills were far better than mine but it clearly showed her methods weren't going to work on Chester. With no experience I'll never know whether that is HRPs in general or just my ginger one.

We worked for over an hour trying to get him to complete a retrieve to hand. Bearing in mind he didn't know the 'hold' command. After several attempts he just got bored and went off to do his own thing. He then just became a naughty dog not doing a thing I said! I agree correction is needed but for Chester if it's repeated over and over again, he just doesn't get it and switches off.

What does work for him is really keeping our energy up, always engaging with him and high reward. Yes, he may be leaping around the field but he is constantly fixed on me, excited by what we're going to do next. No, it's not the greatest of control but that will come once the learning is embedded. We are both so much more successful if we keep the pace up, trying different things and will lots of reward.

I think working out what works for you and your dogs is so important although it's taken me 13 months to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment