Thursday 2 June 2011

Scenting for Beginners!

Armed with a fluffy duck and some pheasant scent Chester and I went on our walk this afternoon.

It was really hot and not much wind so not the best conditions.

Attempt 1 video
Tie Chester up and drag toy duck along the ground working from left to right into the wind. Hide toy duck in grass. I then walked around the area I'd scented back to him and took him off in the opposite direction to distract him a little. Bought him back to the beginning and set him off.
Instead of following the scent he went straight out to the duck and with a bit of sniffing found it. Not exactly what I was hoping for but clearly the handlers fault! The drop at the end isn't ideal either. Again, really my fault as I was too busy recording rather than sticking my hand out and concentrating on bringing him in.

Attempt 2 video
Time for a longer scent trail - there's no way he could run straight to the duck this time! Off we went, he was pretty hot so pace is slow. Also a lot of back scenting. It could be where we'd covered the ground before. There's also a lot of dogs walking the area. Eventually he found it ... then proceeded to show his find to the friendly labrador down the hill!! Third time lucky?!

Attempt 3 video
No scenting this time just a drop of the duck then a long walk back for a memory retrieve. Lovely retrieve and a delivery to hand!! woop woop. That summed up this week's work for me and I was happy :)

A bit of daisy hopping (video) then off home for dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment